Outdoor Burning

Burn Day Status:


Outdoor Burning Regulations

Outdoor Burning Regulations are mandated by Denton County and the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ).

Denton County decides on a daily basis if conditions are favorable to burn based on TCEQ recommendations or if the local conditions cause extreme fire potentials to be low. The determination is made between 8:00 AM and 9:00 AM daily. There are times when weather conditions change during the day to make conditions favorable for fire potentials and thus have the burn day changed to a no burn day. Please check this site or the Controlled Burn Log site throughout the day when open burning.

Controlled Burn Log web site will provide the daily information for open burning and permit holders may log open burning individually provided it is a day approved for open burning. If an individual does not have internet access they may leave their name, address and phone number and the information will be logged in for that burn day. The location of your burn will be logged in the event someone calls 9-1-1 reporting your smoke or flames.

Residents living in Unincorporated Denton County must have a filed Open Burning Registration/Permit.

Denton County DOES NOT issue permits to Town residents nor does the Argyle Fire District but, the Argyle Fire District requires any open burning to be logged with Denton County.

The burn must not start until 1 hour after sunrise and must be completely extinguished 1 hour before sunset.

Clear area of vegetation and all combustibles at least 10-20 feet in all directions from the burn pile before burning.

The burn must be attended at ALL times. Have a shovel and water supply handy until fire is extinguished.

The burn must be downwind and at least 300 feet from structures on adjacent properties.

The burn must not affect roads, airstrips and navigable water.

Yard trimmings, brush, timber and untreated lumber are acceptable items to burn.
Some examples of unacceptable items would include: tires, plastics, paints, furniture, carpet, electrical wire, chemical wastes, asphaltic materials, heavy oils, treated lumber, appliances and items containing natural or synthetic rubber.

Allowed in areas where domestic waste pick-up is not provided and waste is burned the burn must take place in an approved container. Acceptable domestic waste is kitchen garbage, untreated lumber, cardboard boxes and clothing.

Outdoor burning is allowed when used solely for recreational or ceremonial purposes, in the noncommercial preparation of food, or exclusively as a means to provide warmth in cold weather. In other words, campfires, and cooking fires are allowed. Fires built under this exception may not contain domestic waste, electrical insulation, treated lumber, plastics, construction or demolition materials not made of wood, heavy oils, asphaltic materials, potentially explosive materials, chemical wastes, or items containing natural or synthetic rubber.

How do I obtain a burn permit?

Burn permits are ONLY issued by Denton County and ONLY for residents of the unincorporated areas. Burn permits are NOT issued to residents living in the city limits of one of our towns. The Argyle Fire District does NOT issue burn permits.

How do I register a control burn?

To register, click on the Controlled Burn Log site link then click “Enter Burn Log” from the left menu. If you are a resident of the unincorporated Denton County area then you would enter your permit number and fill out the rest of the form. If you live in the City Limits of one of our towns then for the permit number you would just enter N/A and fill in the rest of the information as normal. You may also call 940-349-2840 to log a control burn.

Any questions about open burning you may call the Denton County Fire Marshalls office at 940-349-2840 and the Argyle Fire District at 940-464-7102.